April 16, 2024

Maritime Today Online

latest news and events in maritime and shipping

Customs suspends distribution of seized rice after stampede, offers condolences

Customs flags off sale of seized food items to Nigerians

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has announced the temporary suspension of distribution of seized rice and other food items following a stampede incident at it’s Zonal Headquarters in Yaba, Lagos on Friday.

The unfortunate incident reportedly left no fewer than six persons dead.

Recall that the pilot exercise commenced on Friday, with over 5,000 beneficiaries so far recorded.

In a statement by Public Relations Officer of the NCS, Abdulahi Maiwada on Monday, the NSC said it suspended the exercise to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident as well as put measures in place to avoid similar situation in the future.

Maiwada explained that the distribution exercise began smoothly with crowd control measures put in place until it ran out of stock and announced the continuation of the exercise the following day, leading to a stampede as the crowd sought rice bags inside emptied containers.

He said, “The exercise was conducted following meticulous planning to address all potential risks that may emerge during the exercise.

“As part of our process and control measures, we had Nigeria Police and military personnel to ensure crowd control.

“We also fully equipped a medical team on ground in anticipation of potential risks during an exercise of that magnitude.

“Their presence was part of our proactive approach to ensuring the safety and well-being of all participants.

“The disposal of the food items got off to a smooth start at about 0800hrs. We enjoyed the cooperation of the large crowd that obliged us, giving preferences to the elderly, people living with disabilities, pregnant women, and other vulnerable Nigerians who showed up for the exercise.

“This was the case up until about 1700hrs, as attested to by the over 5 000 beneficiaries and members of the press.

“However, unforeseen challenges arose when we ran out of stock and announced the continuation of the exercise the following day, leading to a regrettable outcome.

“The crowd became desperate and charged through our barricades in search of rice bags inside emptied containers. In the stampede that ensued, some fatalities and injuries were regrettably recorded. ”

The NCS, deeply saddened by the incident, extends heartfelt condolences to the families of those who lost their lives during the incident just as it assured of providing support.

“We are working with Hospital Authorities to establish contact and engage directly with the victims’ families on their next steps. Following this incident, an internal investigation was initiated to understand the circumstances surrounding this unfortunate event.

“As a service deeply committed to the welfare and safety of Nigerians, we recognize the need for heightened sensitivity and preventive measures in all our operations.

“Considering the recent unfortunate event, we regrettably announce the suspension of this exercise until we establish what transpired on Friday, 23 February 2024.

“This should help us to properly articulate more robust and comprehensive action that will not defeat the noble intention. We appreciate the understanding and cooperation of all Nigerians as we work towards addressing the challenges facing our nation’s food security,” he said.

The exercise, directed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, was initiated to alleviate the hardships faced by citizens.

 

 

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Enable Notifications OK Not now