February 18, 2026

Maritime Today Online

latest news and events in maritime and shipping

Food shortage: Seme Customs foils illegal export of 400 bags of beans

…..impounds N365.8m rice, vehicles

The Seme Area command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has intercepted 400 bags of beans worth N61.45 million, attempting illegal export to neighboring Benin Republic.

Controller of the command, Comptroller Timi Bomodi, who disclosed this while briefing journalists on the command’s activities from January 2024 to date at the Seme-Krake Joint border post on Tuesday, said the seizure aligns with efforts to combat food shortages in the country.

He said that the seized beans will be auctioned to the public after receiving approval from the NCS headquarters

Bomodi cited the new Customs Service Act, which prohibits exporting grains without following proper procedures.

Food shortage: Seme Customs foils illegal export of 400 bags of beans

“In light of our present economic realities, where massive food shortages have been reported across the country, and in line with the directive to ensure grains are not exported illegally, the command made a seizure of a truckload of beans, totaling 400 bags with a DPV of N61,450,00.00 stockpiled in a warehouse at one of the exit corridors in the border. This item has since been deposited in the Government warehouse for safekeeping and eventual sale to the public, ” he said.

Speaking on the command’s performance in the area of revenue generation, Bomodi stated that despite the decline in imports occasioned by the high exchange rate, the command collected N1.160billion of the expected annual revenue target of N7. 875billion for the first two months of 2024.

He said, “The Command was given a target of N7.875 billion to collect in the current year. This represents an increase of over 400% in collections compared to the target of 2023. This also translates to a monthly collectible revenue of N656.258 million. In January 2024, the command collected N643,038,611.16, while in February, we collected N517,950,286.14, making a total of N1,160,988,897.30. This is about 88% of the total expected revenue. The shortfall in expected collections can be attributed to the total aggregate decline in imports occasioned by the high exchange rate. ”

He said the command processed 184 export declarations for 43 items with a total weight of 65,185.96 MT and an FOB of 13.057billion. The total amount collected for NESS was N65.337million and N24.407million as export surcharge for previously imported goods.

Bomodi also highlighted seizures of various contraband including rice, vehicles, and narcotics, with a combined value of N365.8 million, showcasing the command’s anti-smuggling efforts.

“Between January and February 2024, the Command successfully made 168 interventions which resulted in the seizure of 2,193 bags of 50kg (3 trailer load equivalent) foreign parboiled rice, 81,930 liters (3 tankers equivalent), 9 vehicles, 1425 General merchandise, 265 parcels of cannabis sativa and other narcotics, 149 pkg of codeine and 2 locally manufactured guns. All with a combined Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N365,888,696.00.

Food shortage: Seme Customs foils illegal export of 400 bags of beans

“A total of 13 suspects were arrested in connection with these seizures, six of them were granted administrative bail, three were handed over to NDLEA for further agency action, one was handed over to the Nigerian Police, while 3 suspects are still in our custody,” he said.

Bomodi added that the continuous surveillance of the border by officers of the command also resulted in the interceptions of 400x30liters of PMS equivalent of 12,000 liters with a DPV of N8,347,680 in the early hours of Saturday, 2nd March 2024 along the creeks.

The PMS seized, according to him, will be auctioned in line with the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) of sales of seized perishable items as directed by the Service.

He emphasized the importance of collaboration with sister agencies, particularly the Nigerian Navy, in ensuring effective border management.

Bomodi also acknowledged the critical support provided by the Nigerian Air Force and Army noting that despite challenges, the command remains dedicated to balancing border security and trade facilitation.

“The Lagos-Abidjan corridor of which the Lagos Badagry expressway is a major composite is a singular passageway accessible via multiple tributaries. Our creeks and the Atlantic traverse this single entry point. That is why collaboration with the Nigerian Navy is imperative and significant. The Nigerian Air Force and Army have provided critical support throughout this period.

“As the lead agency in border security and facilitators of international trade, we are constantly aware of the need to balance both responsibilities through the use of risk management tools at our disposal. We are also aware that those whose illicit businesses have been significantly hindered by our activities will spare no effort in devising new methods to counter us.

“Some of these efforts will include misinformation and disinformation. We would like to assure the public that we will continue to remain alive to our responsibilities and will not be deterred by naysayers or anyone intent upon casting aspersions on our officers, some of whom have paid the ultimate price for the service to their country. Others have been severely maimed and will bear the scars of their bravery to their graves.

“These are challenging times for the Nigeria Customs Service. As criminals get more desperate and daring, we at Seme/Krake Joint Border Post will ensure the sustainability of a more formidable defense, ” he said.

Share and Enjoy !

Shares
Enable Notifications OK Not now